Thursday, October 27, 2011

A little more diversion into wok stoves

One of my local Asian grocers had this fired clay live-fire stove for woks. Has some interesting design features.


Most obvious is the metal lining on the three wok supports. This gives good wear resistance on those points where a wok or other cooking vessel rests. 

But also the bottom perforations allow ashes to drop clear and air to come up through keeping the fire burning hot. 

It includes a removable wall section so you can feed the fire without removing the pot or wok. 



Charcoal is the obvious fuel choice but with that removable section, small sticks and other small flammables become options too. 

And my specialized induction wok burner came. 






Controls are pretty basic. You turn it on with the power button on the right. You select Power, Temperature or Timer with the Function button on the Left. You spin the dial to increase or decrease the setting. 

When you turn it on, it comes on at the 1200 watt setting, basically medium heat. A quick twist of the dial takes you to maximum heat, 1800 watts.




 

I wanted to see how the induction coils were placed for heating so I boiled some water. It quickly came to a boil and the picture clearly shows a ring 6 inches in diameter of rapidly boiling water. 



It's a reasonable compromise as laying induction rings across a curved surface is more work and cost than on a flat surface. 

It heats pretty evenly for cooking food.  I rather enjoyed cooking three quick stir fries in it last night of green beans and pork, chicken with leeks beijing style, and a vegetable medley of my own concoction.

1 comment:

  1. Hi!
    I guess this is a couple of years later, but I was wondering how your experience with the adcraft burner has been.
    I used to do ninety percent of my cooking on a lodge wok and an induction burner. Burner broke, and I gave the wok to a friend because my ladyfriend didn't like its weight.
    I'm not so much into woks for making chinese food, as much as I like them for being so versatile. The same pan can fry one egg and also swallow up three bunches of collards.
    So I'm considering either one of these dedicated induction burners and a carbon steel wok (perhaps a secondary stainless one) or a flat induction burner and a flatbottom wok (and perhaps a stainless chef's pan type thing.)
    Any thoughts? Still liking the thing? I imagine that a lot of these induction units have the same basic guts.

    ReplyDelete