Saturday, December 17, 2011

Overnight Jook in the Slow Cooker

Jook or Congee is probably  the breakfast eaten by more of the world than any other food for breakfast.

This is my preferred method for making Jook. I like the convenience and texture it produces rather than using leftover rice as is sometimes done.


It is quite simple. 1 cup rice, 8 cups water in the slow cooker. Cover.  Set it on low for about 8 hours or overnight.

The rice swells up and forms a pulse or mush of the rice grain. In the slow cooker, the individual grains remain visible, though they'll dissolve the instant you disturb them. I've never got the same swelling and thicker texture when using leftover cooked rice and prefer to make it from raw rice.




And here is where I depart from tradition more strongly. I like to season it as well while it cooks.

So i use my Tea Ball Infuser. I put in clove of garlic, peeled and crushed; two or three thin slices of ginger; a few black peppercorns. I also add about 3 tablespoons light soy sauce and about the same amount of Shao Hsing wine to the water. I also usually cook a chicken thigh or cheap bone in pork chop right along with the rice. This seasons things up and some shredded cooked meat is a nice addition to the jook.

This specific morning, I used some leftover Char Siu from the Goi Cuon in the morning for the protien. I didn't add it to the cooking rice.


I was out of green onion for the garnish so I cut a few slices of onion and let them cook in the jook as well.

Once the rice is cooked, it's time to serve. There are some common garnishes used at this point.

  • the cooked shredded meat or fish
  • sliced green onion
  • light soy sauce
  • rice vinegar, though my preferences run to black vinegar in this case
  • toasted sesame oil


 Stir it up and enjoy.

The same ratios work for brown rice too, but it's a little thinner as there's not as much starch in a cup of brown rice.  You can see how brown rice beef congee turns out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment